Quantock Medical Centre

01278 732696


01278 733385

Which service to use?

It can be difficult working out which NHS service to use sometimes,  the following gives you an idea of what services to use and when……

What do I do if I need a GP when my Surgery is closed… NHS 111

In Somerset there is an Out-of-Hours service available when your own GP surgery is closed from 6.30pm to 8am weekdays and all day weekends and bank holidays phone NHS 111. You should see your own GP for your own routine care.
Our local A & E Department which is open 24 hours is Musgrove Park Hospital, Taunton.

Dental Emergency…

Call the Dental Help Line on 0300 123 7691, or email dentist4u@somerset.nhs.uk  This service is available to help patients who require immediate attention in order to minimise the risk of serious medical complications or prevent longterm dental complications.

Minor Injury Unit…

To be used if you have an injury that is not serious but does need treatment for examples: broken bones, sprains, minor head injuries, emergency contraception, asthma attacks, foreign bodies in eyes,  nose, ears, bites – human, animal, insect. Our closest MIU is Bridgwater.

Accident & Emergency Department …

A & E Departments  assess and treat patients with serious injuries or illnesses.
You should only use A & E or call 999 for life threatening emergencies, such as:

  • loss of conciousness
  • acute confused state and fits that will not stop
  • persistant severe chest pain
  • breathing difficulties
  • severe bleeding that can not be stopped

When to use Emergency 999…

Emergency 999 calls to the ambulance service should only ever be used in an emergency. These calls are prioritised into two categories to ensure life-threatening cases receive the quickest response:

  • immediate Life Threatening
  • all other calls