Self-care resources for insomnia and anxiety
This list is for information only and PrescQIPP do not recommend one app or website over another.
Websites and apps are not a substitute for professional mental health care. If you are worried about any aspects of your mental health, please contact a professional.
Websites and apps
Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) is a talking therapy that can help you manage your problems by changing the way you think and behave. It’s most commonly used to treat anxiety and depression but can be useful for other mental and physical health problems.
Some people prefer using a computer rather than talking to a therapist about their private feelings. However, you may still benefit from occasional meetings or phone calls with a therapist to guide you and monitor your progress. A number of interactive online tools are now available that allow you to benefit from CBT with minimal or no contact with a therapist.
- You can see a selection of mental health tools and apps in the NHS apps library
- NHS mental wellbeing audio guides
- Sleepio an online CBT programme for sleep problems – Sleepio is currently available to NHS patients in selected regions including Greater London, Oxfordshire, Berkshire and Buckinghamshire
- Sleepstation is a 6-week online course for people who struggle to fall asleep or stay asleep through the night. The course is tailored to your needs, using the information you provide, and gives you access to a team of sleep experts who will offer helpful advice and support throughout
- Sidekick is a free available from Apple store and Android. Sidekick is a social health game. It is designed to motivate and engage people towards a healthy lifestyle. Sidekick allows people to communicate, collaborate and compete with friends and colleagues, while improving their lifestyle
- Sleeprate is an in app purchase. Available from Apple store and Android. Improve your sleep? How did you sleep last night?
- Ambio-Sleepsounds is an in app purchase. Available from Apple store and Android. Work. Play. Rest. Create perfect ambience for your whole life
- Pzizz (1-week free trial). Available from Apple store and Android. The Pzizz app helps you quickly calm your mind, fall asleep fast, stay asleep, and wake up refreshed. It uses “dreamscapes” – a mix of music, voiceovers and sound effects designed using the latest clinical research – to help you sleep better at night or take power naps during the day
- Calm is a free trial app. Available from Apple store and Android. Meditation techniques for sleep and stress reduction
- Pillow is a free app. Available from Apple store. Pillow is an advanced sleep tracking and analysis alarm clock that monitors your slumber. Pillow has a clean, inspired design with an intuitive gesture-based interface. Based on the most recent discoveries in sleep research, Pillow’s cutting-edge algorithm uses motion and sound pattern detection to paint a complete picture of your sleep session. A comprehensive sleep stage diagram plots the times you are awake and in the REM, light, and deep phases of sleep, as well as provides sleep session statistics
- Headspace: (10 day free trial) Available from Apple store and Android. Guided meditation; Meditation and sleep. After a free 10-day trial, further access is via a monthly or annual subscription which gives:
- hundreds of guided meditations on everything from stress to sleep
- over 40 mindfulness exercises for cooking, eating, commuting and more
- super-short meditations you can do anytime. Great for busy schedules
- expert guidance from former monk, and Headspace co-founder, Andy Puddicombe
- sleep sounds to ease the mind into a truly restful night’s sleep